GELH2003 / GELH014 – Visual and Performing Arts – Drama
|Suggested Year of Study:||2-4|
|Medium of Instruction:||English and Chinese|
This course consists of two major components: art introduction and drama. This course is designed to acquaint students with the vocabularies and concepts for critiquing and analyzing performing arts. It examines the functions of dramatic art from social and global perspectives, and it encourages students to develop judgment in analysis and criticism of drama as a performing art form. Students will gain an overview of the generic concepts and historical movements in different forms of drama across eras and cultures. In the drama component, students will be introduced to the form and function of dramatic literature in relationship to theatrical performance. Study of plays as texts will lead to rehearsal and performance of selected scenes/acts from plays.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
Students will be able to
1. express how human experience is imaginatively perceived, explored and aesthetically represented in dramatic forms;
2. apply a range of strategies for the analysis and critique of dramatic art;
3. discourse, with a global perspective, on the roles and functions of dramatic art in different cultures and societies;
4. articulate how drama is related to life and society;
5. discuss the creative process in which artists engage.