GEST2001 / GEST008 – Biology in Our Daily Life
|Suggested Year of Study:||2-3|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
In this course, students will be introduced to basic concepts and principles of human biology and health, and recent technological advances in biomedical science. This class aims to highlight on how biology affects human daily life, from simply understanding human bodies to nutrition, treatment of diseases such as cancer and infection, and the personalized medicine. This course will not only broaden the scope of students’ understanding of the world from life science perspectives, but also increase overall awareness of the fact that life science has profound effects in everyday life.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
Students will be able to:
1. Describe and explain the key concepts in life sciences;
2. Identify and understand the cause(s) and potential cure(s) for various human diseases;
3. Communicate relevant biotechnology related information in both oral and written forms;
4. Identify and explain how rapidly developing technologies in life science impact modern society and policy;
5. Use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to analyze and address problems in the biological sciences.