GEST1008 / GEST012 – Exploring the Earth
|Suggested Year of Study:||Any|
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Medium of Instruction||English|
An introduction to major principles of physical geology covering the structure of the Earth, plate tectonics, volcanism and mountain building processes, weathering, sedimentation and rock formation, metamorphism and rock cycle, mass movement, earthquake, surface and underground water process, water and climate change.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
1. Describe the history and structure of the Earth, plate tectonics theory and cycles involved.
2. Explain the formation and physical properties of minerals and rocks.
3. Identify the causes, types, and effects of volcanoes.
4. Define the causes and types of weathering and soil formation.
5. Explain the causes and classifications of mass movement and its relation to people.
6. Identify the causes and effects of earthquakes, including seismology, detection, and classifications.
7. Provide examples for the hydrologic cycle including those processes defining the river and groundwater and its relation to people.