GEST2003 / GEST020 – Exploring Chinese Medicine
|Suggested Year of Study:||2|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) has been practiced in China and other Asian nations for more than 2,000 years and has gained increasing attention and popularity all around the world including Europe and North America. The main objectives of this course are 1) to provide a historical overview of the discoveries our ancestors made from natural products; 2) to discuss how modern technologies are used for mining the treasure and uncovering the healing power of Chinese medicine; 3) to introduce the cultures developed along with the therapeutic philosophy in Chinese medicine. Students will learn the basic principles of TCM, and acquire up-to-date information on the medicinal use and scientific research of TCM.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
On successful completion of this course:
1. Students will be able to describe the basic knowledge of the historical development of Chinese medicine as well as its trend of globalization.
2. Students will be able to explain the treatment concept and philosophy of Chinese medicine, including Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture.
3. Students will be able to demonstrate the cultural characteristics of Chinese medicine and to analyze the major difference between Chinese medicine and Western medicine.
4. Students will be able to discuss how herbs and other natural products are used in Traditional Chinese Medicine and the drug development process of Chinese medicine.
5. Students will be able to articulate the recent progress in the scientific research on the Chinese medicine and acupuncture.