CHLL1012 / CHIN113 – Chinese for Non-Native Speakers I
|Suggested Year of Study:||1|
Department of Chinese Language and Literature
In this course, we learn Mandarin Chinese at a beginning level. It aims at students who have had no prior knowledge of the Chinese language. In the class, students work on massive oral exercises in order to build up and improve their Chinese pronunciation skills. The course helps students better understand Chinese by introducing them to fundamentals of Chinese syntax and morphology. The course also introduces various aspects of Chinese culture in order to reduce the cultural obstacles to Chinese language learning.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Realize the significance of Chinese language as one of the global languages;
- Know how to read Chinese lexical items with Pinyin;
- Communicate in Mandarin Chinese using basic vocabulary, elementary sentence structures, simple grammar and correct pronunciation;
- Communicate simple dialogues on topics related to day-to-day situations and social occasions in a Mandarin Chinese speaking environment;
- Acquire a basic knowledge of Chinese culture and civilization to reduce the cultural obstacles to Chinese language learning.