GEST1008 / FSTG111 – Exploring the Earth
|Suggested Year of Study:||Any|
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
An introduction to basic concepts of physical science.
An introduction to the major principles of physical geology covering the structure of the Earth, plate tectonics, volcanism and other mountain building processes, the surface erosion process, and the formation of properties of minerals and rocks.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Use written and oral communication skills effectively, employing methods appropriate to message and context;
- Think clearly and critically, combining experience, knowledge and reasoning into considered judgment;
- Identify, interpret, and solve problems, effectively implementing and evaluating proposed strategies;
- Read and understand maps, graphs, tables and diagrams;
- Critically examine statement and information.