GEGC311 – Special Topics in Communication
|Suggested Year of Study:||3 to 4|
Centre for Teaching and Learning Enhancement
The content of the course will vary dependent upon the special topics offering. The course will address the intended Area 3 learning outcomes and equip students to become effective communicators in a knowledge-based society by developing their ability to communicate their own ideas and evaluate the communication of ideas by others. Through individual and collaborative learning exercises and assignments students will develop the ability to analyze audiences, design, deliver, and evaluate oral, written and digital communications. The course fulfills the General Education Area 3 requirement.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Formulate and articulate a point of view while acknowledging the existence of alternative points of view;
- Analyze potential audiences and communicate in a form that is appropriate to that audience;
- Effectively communicate their thoughts about a topic using a variety of media e.g., oral, written, visual and digital;
- Analyze and evaluate the communication messages of others;
- Incorporate feedback and use it to refine and enrich their point of view and communication ability.