PORT1000 / PORT113 – Portuguese Language I – Introductory Portuguese
|Suggested Year of Study:||1|
Department of Portuguese
None (Student must be a beginner. Not for speakers of Portuguese)
This is a practical introduction to the Portuguese language involving training in basic language skills involved in basic social interaction, while at the same time introducing students to certain key aspects of the culture of the Portuguese Speaking World. Emphasis will be given to aural comprehension and basic spoken communication, while introducing the student to reading of simple texts and writing. The course is designed to provide initial communication skills in the Portuguese language.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand a basic conversation in Portuguese in relation to familiar, day to day events covered in the course;
- Understand basic spoken and written instructions;
- Identify the countries where Portuguese is spoken, and know basic facts of their geography, society, culture and economy;
- Interact socially at a basic level in Portuguese;
- Give and request information, verbally and in writing;
- Comprehend basic written text in relation to the topics covered;
- Use the written language to fill out forms, write postcards, do basic simple note taking.