CPED1003 / CPED200 – Communication Skills and Leadership
|Suggested Year of Study:||Year 2|
(0.5 for each semester)
Department of Communication
This course will introduce students to the basic concepts of, and the relationship between, communication skills and practices, and leadership abilities. It will focus on six main areas:
(1) Communication as Practice
(2) Communication, Contexts & Audiences
(3) Spoken, Written & Visual Communication
(4) Inter-Cultural Communication
(5) Communication & Gender
(6) Communication, Leadership & Teamwork
The course will be offered in a ‘blended learning’ format, which combines audio-visual & online content with practical exercises and projects completed with other students in the respective residential colleges. The Communication Department will provide the academic course content, which will be offered in the form of themed modules comprised of online audio-visual texts (that is, video lectures). Students will view the required video material, and complete accompanying brief online quizzes. These online modules will be supplemented by student participation in activities organized & administered by the individual residential colleges. Students will be required to take part in these activities to the satisfaction of the RCs, & achieve a 50% score in the online quizzes, in order to achieve a pass in the course. Staff in the Department of Communication will organize & take responsibility for the assessment regime.
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
At the completion of this course, students should:
- Be familiar with & literate with regard to the basic principles of communication.
- Understand the relationship between communication & cultural, gender and social contexts.
- Be able to demonstrate their effective communication skills and the leadership potential.